Course Expectations

    I took this class because the idea of starting my own business has always been fascinating. Entrepreneurship, from the outside, appears to be the sort of opportunity that allows you to test yourself creatively in ways you can't as an average employee. I've had a dozen job titles over the last 10 years; Tour Guide, Carpenter, Janitor, Metal Plater, Commercial Fisherman, etc. No matter where I worked I couldn't help but fantasize about the things I would do differently, how processes could be made more effective or efficient, the management styles I did or did not respect. The idea of creating something and having as much control as is possible in a free market, to test those ideas first hand, and to be involved in shaping something people enjoy, is an alluring one. I have no delusions about the weaknesses and bad habits I certainly have to work on, but I hope this class can give me a solid enough understanding of how to take that first step into creating a business of my own in the off chance that I ever stop dreaming and start acting. A baseline idea of the legal aspects (patents, incorporation, etc.), branding/marketing, and finances would be topics I would consider most important. Being able to hear first hand accounts of the process and discuss roadblocks that might not be apparent to a beginner would be invaluable. I'm looking forward to the class as a whole, and I hope it's as illuminating as I'm convinced it will be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speaker 1 - Erik Hanberg

Business Ideas

Mission and Vision Statements