Speaker - 5 Shadrach White

Now that the quarter is over, I can say without a doubt that Shadrach was on of my favorite speakers of the quarter. He is the founder of CloudPWR, his 4th company so far, and really took a calculated leap of faith in deciding the direction this company was going to go. The aspect I found most inspiring about his talk was the way he viewed people, both investors and employees. The way he described the importance of treating them like an investment, something you value and respect, was really contrary to the image that had been described to me until this point of investor/employee relationships. He described the way he would take the time to talk to them, completely absent of any demands or hidden agendas, updating them on progress and details of a project they hadn't even gotten involved in yet. It was such a personal approach to what really should be a more social experience to begin with. Some of the other things he said that I particularly enjoyed was the way he described developing as being "like art, sometimes you're inspired and sometimes you're not.". He showed his ability to think ahead when he decided to go against the herd and focus his business on government, as well as when he made it a point to differentiate himself from the marijuana industry. The fact that so many of our class questions focused on marijuana seemed to annoy him about as much as it did me, and i'm already a supporter. The question I asked him was what his exit strategy was, and the way he answered so sharp and direct that it was to sell at $100 million valuation really threw me off guard. His answer made me feel like I was asking something he'd covered a hundred times, and I couldn't help but clam up and feel as though I had asked the dumbest question in the room. But once he elaborated, I believe the way he answered was only intended to be clear and honest, and I don't think the irritability I felt was actually real. All in all I loved his talk, and I thought he did a great job being open and genuine about everything he told us. I'd recommend anybody hear him give a talk in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speaker 1 - Erik Hanberg

Business Ideas

Mission and Vision Statements